Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Serendipity

Serendipidy- the effect by which one accidentally discovers something fortunate, especially while looking for something else entirely. (thank you Mr Wikipedia) and it's made me feel so guilty!


I belong to the Friend's of the Museum Queen Victoria Museum and Art Gallery, Launceston.

Every month there is a Morning Coffee with dried scones and white bread sandwiches and a guest speaker. It's all part of the Oral History Program and today's talk, Stan Gottschalk was fantastic, held the room full of us riveted for nearly an hour.

I was supposed to be going out to lunch with a friend who cancelled at last minute, so I thougth I'd wander into the galleries and catch up on any exhibitions from the month.

Rounding the corner I saw our Collections curator Glenda King sitting on one of the lounges talking to another person. Upon getting closer I saw that it was Annette Gero, historian and antique quilt collection. http://www.quilt.co.uk/quilting-articles.asp?idNo=17

We hadn't talked for a few years, which is good in a way, because every time I think of her I feel guilty. Why? Because I too have a collection of antique Australian quilts that need more TLC than I give them. I am sure she doesn't have her collection bundled into cupboards and in trunks!

She has been down to Tasmania for a few days filming a Collecting Quilts segment for the ABC "Collectors" program which is to be aired on ABC TV, 5 October. She has also just completed a new book which is now at the printers, I look forward to that one. It will also have patterns in it written by Kim McLean.

The photo is of shelves with 3 antique quilts and an old electric blanket.

No comments: